Radiation therapists are involved in all aspects of treatment planning, delivery and care of cancer patients. The Saskatchewan School of Radiation Therapy invites you to be a part of this exciting and rewarding field.
Click here to download the Saskatchewan School of Radiation Therapy fact sheet.
What is radiation therapy?
Radiation therapy is the treatment of cancer using radiation with a goal to either cure the patient or manage symptoms. Radiation therapy uses high-energy rays to damage cancer cells, stopping them from growing and dividing. External radiation uses focused beams of radiation to destroy tumours, while minimizing harm to healthy tissues. Individuals may also have internal radiation therapy where radioactive material is implanted directly into or very near a tumour inside the patient.
Who administers radiation therapy?
Radiation therapists are an important member of the healthcare team in treating cancer. They plan, deliver and provide care and education to people receiving radiation therapy.
What duties does a radiation therapist perform?
As members of a team of skilled professional healthcare providers, radiation therapists:
- assist radiation oncologists in the planning and delivery of treatment
- explain procedures and answer patients’ concerns and questions
- position the patient and equipment correctly
- ensure that proper radiation handling and protection techniques are followed
- administer radiation treatments, which include monitoring patients during procedures and providing advice on minimizing radiation reactions
- provide emotional support and patient education
- maintain patient records
Who should enroll in a radiation therapy school?
If you have a good background in the sciences, strong technical skills and the ability to work with care and precision, you should consider radiation therapy as a career. Patience, understanding and tolerance, as well as strong interpersonal and teamwork skills are important qualities to have.
Where can I find more information?
For more information about the School of Radiation Therapy, please contact:
Allan Blair Cancer Centre
4101 Dewdney Avenue
Canada S4T 7T1
Email: Contact Us
Saskatoon Cancer Centre
20 Campus Drive
Canada S7N 4H4
Email: Contact Us