1. Canadian Cancer Society/National Cancer Institute of Canada: Canadian Cancer Statistics 2008, Toronto, Canada, 2008, pp19 & 21.
2. Skarsgard D and Tonita J. Prostate cancer in Saskatchewan Canada, before and during the PSA era. Cancer Causes Control 2000; 11: 79-88.
3. Carroll P, Coley C, McLeod D et al. Prostate-specific antigen best practice policy—part I: early detection and diagnosis of prostate cancer. Urology 2001; 57: 217-24.
4. Gallagher RP, Fleshner N. Prostate cancer: epidemiology. Can Med Assoc J 1998; 159: 807-13.
5. AJCC Cancer Staging Manual.- 6th ed. Editors: Greene FL, Page DL, Fleming ID, Fritz AG, Blach CM, Haller DG, Mowwow M. Springer-Verlag New York, Berlin, Heildelberg, 2002, pp 309-316.
6. Partin AW, Yoo J, Carter B et al. The use of prostate specific antigen, clinical stage and Gleason score to predict pathologic stage in men with localized prostate cancer. J Urol 1993; 150: 110-114.
7. Lukka H, Warde P, Pickles T et al. Controversies in prostate cancer radiotherapy: consensus development. Can J Urol 2001;8(4):1314-22.
8. Klotz LH, Fradet Y. Controversies in the management of localized prostate cancer: consensus development by Canadian urologists. Can J Urol 2002;9(3 Suppl 1):30-5.
9. Klotz L. Active surveillance with selective delayed intervention for favorable risk prostate cancer. Urol Oncol 2006; 24: 46-50.
10. Albertsen PC, Hanley JA, Barrows GH et al. Prostate Cancer and the Will Rogers Phenomenon. JNCI 2005; 97: 1248-1253.
11. Johansson J-E, Andren O, Andressen S-O. Natural history of early localized prostate cancer. JAMA 2004; 291: 2713-2719.
12. Hanks GE, Pajak TF, Porter A et al. Phase III Trial of Long-Term Adjuvant Androgen Deprivation After Neoadjuvant Hormonal Cytoreduction and Radiotherapy in Locally Advanced Carcinoma of the Prostate: The Radiation Therapy Oncology Group Protocol 92–02. Journal of Clinical Oncolog 2003; 21: 3972-3978.
13. Bolla M, van Tienhoven G, De Reijke TM, et al. Concomitant and adjuvant androgen deprivation (ADT) with external beam irradiation (RT) for locally advanced prostate cancer: 6 months versus 3 years ADT—Results of the randomized EORTC phase III trial 22961. J Clin Oncol 25:238s, 2007 (suppl; abstr 5014).
14. Dearnaley DP, Khoo VS, Norman AR et al. Comparison of radiation side effects of conformal and conventional radiotherapy in prostate cancer: a randomized trial. Lancet 1999; 353: 267-72.
15. Bolla M, Gonzalez D, Warde P et al. Improved survival in patients with locally advanced prostate cancer treated with radiotherapy and goserelin. N Engl J Med 1997; 337: 295-300.
16. Roach M III, Lu JD, Lawton C et al. A phase III trial comparing whole-pelvic (WP) to prostate only (PO) radiotherapy and neoadjuvant to adjuvant total androgen suppression (TAS): preliminary analysis of RTOG 9413. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2001; 51: 53.
17. Thompson IM Jr, Tangen CM, Paradelo J, et al. Adjuvant radiotherapy for pathologically advanced prostate cancer: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2006; 296: 2329-2335.
18. Swanson GP, Hussey MA, Tangen CM. Predominant treatment failure in postprostatectomy patients Is local: Analysis of patterns of treatment failure in SWOG 8794. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 2225-2229.
19. The Medical Research Council Prostate Cancer Working Party Investigators Group. Immediate versus deferred treatment for advanced prostatic cancer: initial results of the Medical Research Council trial. Br J Urology 1997; 79: 235-46.
20. Eisenberger MA, Blumenstein BA, Crawford ED et al. Bilateral orchiectomy with or without flutamide for metastatic prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 1998;339:1036-42.
21. Saad F, Gleason DM, Murray R, et al. Long-term efficacy of zoledronic acidfor the prevention of skeletal complications in patients with metastatic hormone-refractory prostate cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 2004; 96:879-882.
22. Consensus statement. Guidelines for PSA following radiation therapy. American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology Consensus Panel. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1997; 37: 1035-41.