Planning for the future is important, especially when it comes to your health. Putting in place an advance care plan can give you peace of mind knowing that those who may have to make your healthcare decisions understand your treatment choices if you are unable to make or communicate your decisions at the time.
What is an Advance Care Plan?
An advance care plan (sometimes called a living will or advance directive) is the legal set of directions for your medical care should you become too ill or injured to communicate or make decisions.
The benefits of preparing an advance care plan vary from person to person. Some benefits may include:
- Giving the gift of guidance, confidence, and strength to those closest to you in the event that you become ill and they have to speak for you
- Reducing the emotional distress on those closest to you
- Providing clear instructions for healthcare providers and others who may have to make decisions for you
- Learning about and choosing from the options available for your healthcare in a variety of situations
- Ensuring that you receive medical care that supports your values, faith or traditions
- Preventing the use of medical procedures that may prolong your life unnecessarily
My Voice - Your guide to advance care planning
My Voice is a guide that provides you with the information you need to make informed choices about your future health care - ahead of time.
It contains useful information on how to make the decisions that are right for you:
- How to hold the discussions with your loved ones who are a necessary part of your future planning
- How to inform your doctor and nearest relatives of your wishes
My Voice also contains a template that you can use to complete an advance care plan.
You can download your copy of My Voice here.
If you have any questions or need more information about advance care planning please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call to speak with a member of your heatlhcare team:
- Allan Blair Cancer Centre: 306-766-2213
- Saskatoon Cancer Centre: 306-655-2662